The successful Technical Writer/Editor plans, writes and maintains technical manuals in compliance with military specifications. This role is responsible for preparing and maintaining all styles of manuals which include, but are not limited to operations, maintenance, illustrated parts breakdowns (IPBs), job guides, flight manuals, checklists, and work cards. his position is familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices and procedures. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review engineering drawings and other data relative to operation, maintenance, and service of equipment.
- Audits, edits and standardizes material prepared by other writers and illustrators’
- Draw sketches to illustrate specified materials or assembly sequence.
- Assign work to other direct reports.
- Demonstrate knowledge of MIL-STD 38784.
- Technical Order General Style and Format, and other specifications as required.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization policies and applicable laws.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
A.A./A.S or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS:
B.A./B.S. degree from a four-year college or university in a related field and/or combination of education and related experience
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Fifteen (15) years of total experience as a technical writer of which ten (10) years in the preparation of modification work orders and technical manuals (new and/or updates).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel, Publisher and Power Point.
- Excellent grammar, technical writing and editing skills.
- Document Management experience.
- Excellent knowledge of acquisition policies and procedures, coupled with ability to identify required technical solutions.
- Proficient in Arbortext, Interleaf and other software’s.
- Familiarity with Army/DoD manuals strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of currently used technical language.